Question RedHat 6.2 2.219 kernel upgrade to 2.4.12 kernel?

Okay folks i need your expert advice and opinion on what i'm thinking of doing

I currently have:

- RH 6.2 with 2.2.19 kernel on
    - Dual P3 866, 768mb ram server
    - with WHM/Cpanel installed.

I plan to upgrade the kernel only from 2.2.19 to 2.4.12. Is this doable and will there be any problems ? I could get my host VO to do it, but i also want to learn myself but i'm afraid of messing it up Hence i need your advice in looking over a 'how to upgrade kernel guide' that i mixed and matched from various sources which reported success in doing an a 2.4.x kernel upgrade.

I am also confused as to what i must enter in the /etc/lilo.conf file to:

1. add new image file entry
    2. keep the old image file entry

Below is the guide i'll put up at http://i4net.tv/marticle/ after i have successfully done the upgrade (with of course the addition to the instructions as to what i need to enter in /etc/lilo.conf which is missing currently from the below instructions).

I appreciate any help and suggestions and if you find any errors in the below instructions please let me know
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

- Instructions text are enclosed in double pipe lines || instructions ||
    - commands to type are preceeded by #

|| Login in as root user ||

# cd /usr/src

Getting and Extracting source file

|| If you installed kernel source when you first installed linux (as most do), there will already be a directory called `linux' there, which contains the entire old source tree. If you have the disk space and you want to play it safe, preserve that directory. A good idea is to figure out what version your system runs now and rename the directory accordingly. The command `uname -r' prints the current kernel version. Therefore, if `uname -r' said `1.0.9', you would rename (with `mv') `linux' to `linux-1.0.9'. If you feel mildly reckless, just wipe out the entire directory. In any case, make certain there is no `linux' directory in /usr/src before unpacking the full source code ||

||Get source file ||

# wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne...-2.4.12.tar.gz

||Extract files ||

# tar zxpvf linux-2.4.12.tar.gz

|| When finished, there will be a new `linux' directory in /usr/src ( usr/src/linux-2.4.12/ ). You will notice there is another directory with similar name, this is your old kernel source code, there is also a file linux in the directory, this is a symbolic link file to the kernel that the system uses, you will need to delete this file and point it to the new kernel directory, to do this rm linux then confirm yes, now create the new symbolic link by typing: ||

# ln -s linux-2.4.12 linux

||change to linux directory ||

# cd linux

Configuring kernel notes
    ==============================================
    - doing a "make config" to configure the basic kernel. "make config" needs bash to work: it will search for bash in $BASH, /bin/bash and /bin/sh (in that order), so hopefully one of those is correct.

- Alternate configuration commands are:
    "make menuconfig" Text based color menus, radiolists & dialogs.
    "make xconfig" X windows based configuration tool.

NOTES on "make config":
    - having unnecessary drivers will make the kernel bigger, and can under some circumstances lead to problems: probing for a nonexistent controller card may confuse your other controllers
    - compiling the kernel with "Processor type" set higher than 386 will result in a kernel that does NOT work on a 386. The kernel will detect this on bootup, and give up.
    - A kernel with math-emulation compiled in will still use the coprocessor if one is present: the math emulation will just never get used in that case. The kernel will be slightly larger, but will work on different machines regardless of whether they have a math coprocessor or not.
    - the "kernel hacking" configuration details usually result in a bigger or slower kernel (or both), and can even make the kernel less stable by configuring some routines to actively try to break bad code to find kernel problems (kmalloc()). Thus you should probably answer 'n' to the questions for a "production"kernel.
    - make sure you have no stale .o files and dependencies lying around by running the 2 commands:

# cd /usr/src/linux
    # make mrproper
    ==============================================
    # make menuconfig
    # make dep
    # make clean
    # make bzImage
    # make modules
    # make modules_install

|| In order to boot your new kernel, you'll need to copy the kernel image (found in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage after compilation) to the place where your regular bootable kernel is found. ||

# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12
    # cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.12

|| Now you need to modify your /etc/lilo.conf to add the new image and keep an entry for the old (just in case you need to use it). Below is the current /etc/lilo.conf file I have before the upgrade/editing we're about to do ||

boot=/dev/sda
    map=/boot/map
    install=/boot/boot.b
    prompt
    timeout=50
    lba32
    default=linux
    disk=/dev/sda
    bios=0x80

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19
    label=linux
    read-only
    root=/dev/sda8

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0smp
    label=linux-old
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.14-5.0smp.img
    read-only
    root=/dev/sda8

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
    label=linux-up
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.14-5.0.img
    read-only
    root=/dev/sda8

|| To edit lilo.conf ||

# pico /etc/lilo.conf

??? what do i add to the file to add new image file entry and old image file entry ?????

|| save and exit then run ||

# /sbin/lilo -v

|| You should (the good practice(tm)) run lilo as root with the absolute path. This will run lilo in verbose mode, so you can see what's going on. Omit the -v to see the normal lilo output. ||

# sync;sync;sync;reboot

|| sync flushes your buffers to harddisk (to prevent data loss in case of a crash) after which you reboot to load yer new kernel. When you've ran make modules and make modules_install, your modules will be installed into /lib/modules/<kernel version> ||

|| Once you're booted into the new kernel, do a ||

# depmod -a

|| depmod -a will find the list of modules to probe from the file
    /etc/modules.conf. It will output the result into the depfile specified in this configuration file. ||

Acknowledged sources read in creating the above instructions:
    - http://linuxathome.ausforum.com/updating_kernel.shtml
    - http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...&threadid=5514
    - ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/README
    - http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
    - http://i4net.tv/marticle/get.php?act...e&articleid=16

Thanks in advance for the advice especially on what i need to put in the /etc/lilo.conf file

Cool

I'll tell you this.... It's not going to be that easy. Kernel 2.4.x has different requirements, as far as system utils.

Therefore, I'd suggest hunting down some info on going from a 2.2.x series to a 2.4.x series.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, that you have a number of other things that need to be upgraded to make it work.

It can be a royal pain going from one generation to the next, that last time I did it was when I went from a 2.0.x to a 2.2.x kernel.

thanks.. hmm anyone else care to take a look at the above and/or provide your advice or experience with this ???
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack