not happy with netfirm domain registration

On Jan 1, I decided to register a domain name with Netfirms because of their $4.95 sale.

I wanted to point the domain to a website I have.

First I had to ask them to give me the link to the Open SRS control panel. They claimed the link was there all along but it wasn't.

Then I saw that they had locked the domain.
    My first attempt to ask them to Unlock it resulted in
    them re-sending me my password.

Now, I am waiting on the second try.

I've never had this sort of problem with 3 other domain registrars.

Anyone else have experience with them?

to continue on this Netfirms "saga"

I asked them to unlock the domain I registered.
    They replied I needed to email them from the email
    on record.

I replied.

I get another email to reply *again* on email of
    record.

All I wanted to do was change the nameservers from the control panel. Very simple. Not a big deal.

I told them this was totally unacceptable business practice.

I've used Dotster, Namecheap, OpenSRS(Tucows), MyDomain, GoDadday and I had always been given total control of a domain I registered from day 1.

Not only is this hassle unacceptable. I takes Netfirms so-called support over 12 hours to reply to each email.

stay away from them and their "cheap" domain name registration service!!! it isn't worth it!!

Saving a buck or two is not always the right answer. When you factor in quality of support, interface and reliability of systems paying a little extra is worth it.
    Domain Maven

I have another weird story with netfirms. I tried ordering a domain name through their service. The order was made and my credit card was charged. I waited and waited and waited ... two full days ... every time I ran a whois query on that domain, it said the domain was NOT registered!!

Finally, I decided to try ordering the domain through GoDaddy ... Surprisingly enough, the order was successful ... and after less than 20 minutes, I ran a whois query and the domain was registerd and showing the parking servers of GoDaddy!!! I was then able to easily change the name servers and within less than 2 hours, my site was working .... excellent service, GoDaddy, although I really hate all the cross-selling stuff before I reach the checkout.

I tried after that asking netfirms to refund the order since they obviously didn't deliver the domain name. They haven't yet replied, and I intend to charge them back next morning.

DON'T ever try buying anything from netfirms ... I'll keep you updated if they ever reply to my refund request.

Originally posted by bigprof
    I have another weird story with netfirms. I tried ordering a domain name through their service. The order was made and my credit card was charged. I waited and waited and waited ... two full days ... every time I ran a whois query on that domain, it said the domain was NOT registered!!
    Ack, this is horrible. Do they not have an automated order system?!

although I really hate all the cross-selling stuff before I reach the checkout.
    Yeah, same here... That's annoying as hell.

I hope you get your refund.

Avoid Netfirms like the plague!

Besides the problems mentioned by ieee888 (which are true, I have had to undergo an identical experience), the worst sting comes when Netfirms charges your CC with $99.50 per domain for 10 months' hosting that you had never ordered.

I had to file an online complaint with the RCMP (Canadian police) before I could get the money refunded!

You get what you pay for. I would only be kicking myself in the can for making a mistake like that
    Domain Maven

Ragarding my post above, Netfirms replied to me a while ago (at last) with a somehow irrelevent message. They say they didn't process my order as they needed to approve my credit card(!!) .. they asked me to fax them the credit card's front and back as approval so that they can process my order!!

Some points here:

1. If I understand them correctly, they didn't charge my card. This is good news, and I don't need them to approve my order at all!

2. It took them 4 whole days to tell me they need to approve my order?!! And they only contacted me after I raised a ticket to them?!!

3. I always buy from GoDaddy and from many hosting providers .. they never asked me to approve my card.

Well ... I'll check with my bank to see if they have charged my card or not. If not, that's good as they'll save me the effort of charging them back

Exclamation

Originally posted by wbengal
    Avoid Netfirms like the plague!

Besides the problems mentioned by ieee888 (which are true, I have had to undergo an identical experience), the worst sting comes when Netfirms charges your CC with $99.50 per domain for 10 months' hosting that you had never ordered.

I had to file an online complaint with the RCMP (Canadian police) before I could get the money refunded!
    Yep, the same $99.50 charge showed up on my credit card that I used to pay for the domain name registration. When I called up their
    toll-free number, they told me I had to tell them I didn't want the hosting. I didn't even want the hosting and never signed up for it.

Though, I do have to say they did not give me any hassle about removing the charge.