Thumbs down dumb requirement from powerpipe

I signed up for a new hosting account and decided to use one of my brand new domain names registered at Powerpipe (a reseller for enom), as my main domain name for the account. I logged into my account at powerpipe to register my brand new nameserver IP's that I got from httpme (which set up the account right away...good job guys!), and I find that I cannot register my nameservers with my brand new domain name. I have to buy a special "Pro Account" which supposedly comes with hosting and email for all of my domains. This account costs an additional $21.

Now, $21 is not a huge amount, however, if I am setting up my own nameservers, why would I need a "pro" hosting account from the registrar to set up email for my domains. Chances are that people who need to register their domain name as a nameserver have the ability to create email accounts for their domain names, anyway. I was so upset at this idiotic requirement, that I decided to transfer my domain to Godaddy, which makes it super easy to register name servers. It's also cheaper for me to transfer the domain to GoDaddy for $7.95, and then register my nameservers there, than to pay Powerpipe $21 to set up this special "pro account."

Anyway, I thought I'd pass this along to help keep others from making the same mistake that I did. From now on, I am only using GoDaddy to register my domain names.

If you all know of other registrars that do not have dumb requirements like this, please let me know, just in case. Thanks!

Ouch, thanks for the info. I wonder if this is a standard extra charge for all enom resellers?

dunno, I also have some names at Namecheap, another enom reseller, and I did not see a "register your nameservers easily and quickly" link there either, so it might be.

We do not charge for nameserver registration at namecheap.com and it is not required by enom.

Originally posted by enetwork
    We do not charge for nameserver registration at namecheap.com and it is not required by enom.
    How is it handled at namecheap? I have a few domains there, including one of my main ones that will require nameservers, soon, so I am very interested in knowing how this is handled at namecheap.

hmm... never heard that companies are charging for this type of the service......

email your request and it will be taken care of immediately.

Re: dumb requirement from powerpipe

Hi VoxKeysGtr,

I can't directly speak for PowerPipe as I'm a competitor not an employee (!), but I do know Jim fairly well and I believe there's a misunderstanding here. If you email PowerPipe with the domain that you want nameservers created for, the nameservers that you want created, and of course the relevant IP addresses, I'm fairly sure it will be taken care of for you at no charge. The $21 is if you want a domain reseller account set up.

And no, eNom do not impose a fee for creation of nameservers and there's no reason for a reseller to impose a fee either. We're an eNom reseller and do not charge our customers for this. In fact you can log in at the main eNom site with the username/password combo that we give you and do it yourself.

Hope this clears things up,
    Simon.
    http://www.AQHost.com
    Fast, reliable dual Intel Xeon servers
    Excellent uptime record
    Efficient and friendly support

Glad to hear that, and I will email them with the info. However, their instructions on their web site (quoted below) make it seem as if you do need to sign up for this account, if you want to create nameservers. Thanks for the info.

Web Professionals often need to register their own nameservers.
    PowerPipe.com has created a special domain management account to accomodate your professional needs.
    The account includes:
    unlimited nameserver registration at no additional charge
    register nameservers any time (24 hours per day, 7 days per week)
    manage all your domains under one master account password
    global domain record updates and editing features
    Free URL forwarding and email forwarding for any domain
    Cost: one-time set-up fee of $21 (no other fees to pay)
    To register your own nameservers, please order a WebPro account HERE

just few clicks with any opensrs reseller, i guess it is worth to pay 2-3 $ more.

Originally posted by VoxKeysGtr
    Glad to hear that, and I will email them with the info. However, their instructions on their web site (quoted below) make it seem as if you do need to sign up for this account, if you want to create nameservers. Thanks for the info.
    It appears you were right about the $21. Sincere apologies for any inconvenience that my reply may have caused. As I said, I don't work for PowerPipe and wasn't aware that this was policy.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    http://www.AQHost.com
    Fast, reliable dual Intel Xeon servers
    Excellent uptime record
    Efficient and friendly support

No prob AQHost. No incovinience caused, so no apology is neccesary. thanks for your help!