Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Serverhost... recomended?

I think the topic says it all. I am wondering if any of serverhost's clients can give any input. I am considering adding one of their servers to our offerings, but need a very stable environment for our clients. I have read a few negatives (DC moves), but they all seem to be older news. How have things been as of late? Thanks for any input. It's greatly appreciated.

yes, im looking for current client comments.. please add them. I am looking to buy a few servers there also
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!

Same here i am also interested in some client comments, im looking to purchase some some servers with them aswell.

<<MOD NOTE: Oops, I accidentally removed the post above this one, sorry. Here it is...>>

Dotcomsnz wrote...
    I've used them.... moved my servers to NZ :-)

Can't say what they have been like for the past couple of months and quite frankly don't really care all that much

http://www.dotcoms.net.nz

When you did use them, how was your experience?
    Last edited by Chicken; 08-29-2002 at 09:48 AM.

My experience wasn't good and I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy, but who knows they may have improved - I am sure the search facility will provide more insight..... A leopard doesn't change it's spots or so they say

The post asks how have they been lately.. unfair to say more as it wouldn't be on topic

heh, your reply is enough to keep me away from them, thanks for the info.

Am i your worst enemy? =P

they are pretty good now i heard

Originally posted by hosthero
    they are pretty good now i heard
    'tis better to go on what one knows; than on what one's heard.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Serverhost hooked me on a special they posted here in the beginning of July, and I must say I don't regret getting one of their servers.

Support: Can't really comment on it as I've only had to contact them once to ask for the subnetmask to add additional IP's. This question was very promply and politly answered in under 5 minutes. For the rest I have had no need to contact support as I've had 100% uptime in the time I've been with them (though it's only about 1.5 months), both network as hardware wise.

Setup: The initial setup of the server was solid, as was the CPanel configuration. All was as it should have been. Only complaint I could utter is that it took them slightly longer to get the server online than I was originally told (something like 24 - 48 hours longer, but it was well worth the wait).

Billing: They use Ubersmith and send an invoice to you via email every month with a payment link for the next month's service. I'm not sure whether you can just set it up so it is automatically payed, you probably can, but I haven't bothered to look into this yet.

I'd say, give them a try. Seeing as there's no setup fee and no contract involved, what do you have to loose? My experience has been good upto now and I certainly don't intend on cancelling my server with them anytime soon.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

* what ?

i got an email a couple weeks ago about serverhost joining something called dragon networks. i have no clue who they are, but they use quickbooks to run their company.... :/

anyway, thier uptime has been decent and i cannot complain about the price. however, support is nonexistant. if you call the various numbers (cause they seem to change a lot) you will get no one who can help you do anything.

i am pretty sure that jeff was the only guy doing anything over there. and i think his staff was basically the guys at his data center who just hit the reboot button. i do not know what dragon networks has added cause i do not really need anything from them other then uptime. also, i moved my other server away from them a few months ago !!

but hey .. this is just my 2 cents.
    Nathan M.
    Stormwire.com
    A decade of professional hosting !

I purchased a server from them last July and am very satisfied. The only trouble I had was losing connection to my server which was caused by problems with Cogent. I emailed the emergency reboot email adress and received a response immediately. A couple of the guys even emailed me back to make sure everything was ok. Any prospective customers are welcome to contact me via email for more information about ServerHost. The day I switched from RS to them was my best decision ever
    Signature SPAM

Re: what ?

Originally posted by nate
    i got an email a couple weeks ago about serverhost joining something called dragon networks. i have no clue who they are, but they use quickbooks to run their company.... :/

anyway, thier uptime has been decent and i cannot complain about the price. however, support is nonexistant. if you call the various numbers (cause they seem to change a lot) you will get no one who can help you do anything.

i am pretty sure that jeff was the only guy doing anything over there. and i think his staff was basically the guys at his data center who just hit the reboot button. i do not know what dragon networks has added cause i do not really need anything from them other then uptime. also, i moved my other server away from them a few months ago !!

but hey .. this is just my 2 cents.
    In our defense - a lot has changed here - we are a much larger company now with plenty of people to support and administer our network and servers. We're adding additional network connectivity and increasing network stability and reliability through the addition of upgraded Cisco routers and switches.

I don't think any phone numbers have changed lately - other than from the old office to the new office when the sale of Serverhost was completed. My cell phone number - which I'm fairly confident you have - has been the same for more than eight months.

I haven't seen one single support ticket from you in months - how can you say support is nonexistant when you haven't even used it? I've personally tried to call you multiple times to check in and see how things were going and you never called back - I don't understand how I haven't gone out of my way to make sure things were working out for you.

In any case, thanks for your continued business, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Dragon and Serverhost

Server Host and Dragon networks utilize our IDC to run their business. They have a pretty large footprint spread out over 10 racks. In fact they take up an entire line-up. We run a BGP peering session with them as they have their own AS numbers and ARIN block assignments.

When we ( our IDC techs ) are asked to help them out, which is pretty seldom, we do so willing as their success is our success. But for the most part they have an experienced core of techs and handle most of their support themselves.

They have added remote power cycle capabilities and run have deployed a pretty robust Cisco platform consisting of redundant routers and redundant Layer 3 switch fabric. In fact they have made the investment it takes to insure maximum uptime within reason. There is no such thing as perfect technology. If they, or any facility, and we've got one of the best, had every redundant system possible the cost would be way prohibitive.

Additionally, they have been easy to work with as we are all a team anyway. I would highly recommend them to anyone as I would the other hosting companies currently installed in our facility. My experience is they all understand the competitive nature of this business and go out of their way, within reason, to provide as much support as they can.

We appreciate their business and have watched as they continue to grow and expand within the facility.

They are one of our most valued customers and for the most part run and operate completely independent of Global Compass.

Bob Gray
    Vice President Business Development
    Global Compass, Inc.
    rmgray@globalcompass.com
    Desk: 770-928-6802
    http://www.globalcompass.com

I use to be a customer of ServerHost and yes, I did have problems and left but that was before they picked themselves up and turned themselves around.

Good luck for the future Jeff - hope you get back into the swings of things and strive forward

James

lol, what happened to this thread?
    Bannaz™ | Amazing Banner Ad Designer!
    Need banners? Visit our Website
    New Facebook Banner Ads! Bannaz.com/facebook

urm? /me slaps Leigh - what u mean?

James

errmm. How come all the newbies rush to the defence of serverhost?

I have never doubted the technology capabilities, it's service and in my experience and someone elses who posted on this thread here, that was less than good.

Why do you report my threads to mods Jeff?
    There's no malice here - Just telling it as experienced is all
    There are plenty more who had problems - we pm each other via the board and share info.

I sincerely hope that you guys have sorted out the problems - one of them was also non existent contact telephone numbers - that was raised in this thread by someone else also.

Oh and have you learned how to use Ubersmith yet?
    All the time I was with you guys you didn't have a clue how to work it and it was always incorrect.

Why did you delete all your forum posts?

They were there for a week or so when you went absent without leave so to speak - you know when you and darkorb had you little fallout.

Your site still claims to be associated with darkorb, that to my knowledge is untrue - you lost your host NOC status. or have you got that back now?

I just hate to see all your false claims and people being misled - I would also like to know why you change company names so often - That can't be good for business... or can it

Good luck

Am i your worst enemy? =P
    hehe, edude

To my knowledge, you are not my worst enemy

Bob Gray
    Vice President Business Development
    Global Compass, Inc.
    rmgray@globalcompass.com
    Desk: 770-928-6802
    http://www.globalcompass.com

Additionally, they have been easy to work with as we are all a team anyway. I would highly recommend them to anyone as I would the other hosting companies currently installed in our facility. My experience is they all understand the competitive nature of this business and go out of their way, within reason, to provide as much support as they can

You've never been hosted by thern..... how can YOU recommend them?

*fishy*

Did you happen to be passing WHT an thought you'd post?
    Doubt that very much...

Steve, Globalcompass is the data center where ServerHost are

James

Re: Re: what ?

Originally posted by jkehe

I haven't seen one single support ticket from you in months - how can you say support is nonexistant when you haven't even used it? I've personally tried to call you multiple times to check in and see how things were going and you never called back - I don't understand how I haven't gone out of my way to make sure things were working out for you.
    there is a reason why i stopped calling & submitting tickets. the ones i did submit 'magically' disappeared. and when i called it would ring off the hook or i would get your cell phone is turned off message.

regardless, i try to handle everything with my team here because it is so much faster that way. i was tired of being disappointed ... what would you have done ???

hope the company does well now that you 'merged'.
    Nathan M.
    Stormwire.com
    A decade of professional hosting !

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz
    errmm. How come all the newbies rush to the defence of serverhost?

I have never doubted the technology capabilities, it's service and in my experience and someone elses who posted on this thread here, that was less than good.

Why do you report my threads to mods Jeff?
    There's no malice here - Just telling it as experienced is all
    There are plenty more who had problems - we pm each other via the board and share info.

I sincerely hope that you guys have sorted out the problems - one of them was also non existent contact telephone numbers - that was raised in this thread by someone else also.

Oh and have you learned how to use Ubersmith yet?
    All the time I was with you guys you didn't have a clue how to work it and it was always incorrect.

Why did you delete all your forum posts?

They were there for a week or so when you went absent without leave so to speak - you know when you and darkorb had you little fallout.

Your site still claims to be associated with darkorb, that to my knowledge is untrue - you lost your host NOC status. or have you got that back now?

I just hate to see all your false claims and people being misled - I would also like to know why you change company names so often - That can't be good for business... or can it

Good luck
    I hope the mods will back me up here in saying that I did not report anything to them - whatever they did was within their own power - I requested nothing to be done. What posts did I delete?

Serverhost has been our name since 1998 - what do you mean change names? Plusweb was dropped when Dragon took over - and almost every one of the major hosts on here has more than one name - I don't know why you're trying to call me out here.

You say you want to keep the thread on topic, and then you resort to pure bashing - I really don't understand. I hope you take a step back, and consider that we've invested a significant amount of capital in getting Serverhost running smoothly again. I think that shows that we have dedication to providing quality services and support to our customers.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Originally posted by Dotcomsnz
    You've never been hosted by thern..... how can YOU recommend them?

*fishy*

Did you happen to be passing WHT an thought you'd post?
    Doubt that very much...
    He came here under his own power to post that, and I do appreciate his kind words. I haven't spoken to Bob Gray in a number of weeks, so I don't see how I could have coerced him to come post that message.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

The original thread starter is asking for user opinions, not the host's opinions, or the upper vendors of that host.

You're throwing the thread off topic and it should be obvious to the original thread starter what you're going to expect.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Well i can say that i have used server host in the past.. ( a few mnths ago) i had a RAQ 3 ( or4.. not sure ) On just Cognent.

I felt they had good service, and a fair price.. heck if i was in the market for another server with the current deal they are running i would grab it.

Plus they do check up on their customers occasionally.. i was only with them for 2 or 3 months due to a back-up i was doing.. but i was very happy with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast