Weberz no longer supports HSPHERE?

Just read this in another thread:

"I received email from weberz.com they canceled H-Sphere hosting."

Is this true? And if so, does anybody know why? Or perhaps Tracy can enlighten us. I am currently working with HSPHERE and have to admit that I have been utterly frustrated with some of its shortcomings and apparent problems. But at the same time impressed with some of its power. If Weberz has indeed bailed on HSPHERE I would love to hear more about why.

online - s'where between home & datacenter
    weberz.com still shows H-Sphere plans...

which thread u'r quoting? can give a link?

Tracy had launched CPanel based things recently and recently have increased the bandwidth, space etc for H-Sphere plans also.... so...

Here's the thread he's talking about: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=73688
    Peachtree WebWorks, LLC
    http://www.peachtreewebworks.com

Just to clarify the issue with H-Sphere.

Weberz will no longer offer H-Sphere plans to resellers. I will continue to offer H-Sphere plans for shared hosting on Windows as well as UNIX (for the short term). I will also let resellers remain on H-Sphere for as long as they wish or change to Plesk, I have no intentions of taking the cluster down.

I put up a Cpanel server for resellers for about a week and it is not up to par for what I am looking for.

I now have went back to the tried and true Plesk control panel. It is rock solid and just works day in and day out.

Plesk does not have a few things that H-Sphere has like the built in support desk and billing system, neither being a great lose as there is PerlDesk and ModernBill to feel those gaps.

Billing in H-Sphere is one of my main issues for resellers. I can now feel MatrixResellers pain that I have been reading about for months on end regarding their billing and other issues.

In my opinion it is just not worth it to have H-Sphere just for windows hosting.

I love the concept that Psoft is trying to achieve with H-Sphere, I just don't care much for the way they are going about it.

Another of my big issues with them is that they need to get what they have working before they impliment more features. I think they feel that features drives sales and not stability. I also think that is wrong.

Enough rambling for now.

Have a super day!

Tracy Phillips

Unfortunately there isn't any other control panel option that I know of that supports instant setup of both Windows and *nix accounts. That's the best thing H-Sphere has going for it in my opinion. Really, the only other Windows CP's out there appear to be Hosting Controller and the new Ensim Appliance.

Its no fun reselling when you have to depend on your upstream provider to do all the domain setups while your customers sit and wait
    Peachtree WebWorks, LLC

Both Plesk and Cpanel let resellers add their clients themselves.

I am not sure about Ensim as I have never used it.

Tracy Phillips

Tracy, did i mention i love you? Clear concice posts that actually gave me some insight (i've yet to try h-sphere but intend to sooner or later, personally i didn't find plesk very appealing, cpanel has plenty of bugs, but its pretty good, most of them are minor/workaround bugs). First time in awhile that i've scrolled down that i found i didn't have to hit reply to get more information , but i've got to ask, what is it you dont like about h-sphere exactly (potentially save me some time )
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Originally posted by Weberz
    Both Plesk and Cpanel let resellers add their clients themselves.
    Yes... but only on Linux, not Windows!
    Peachtree WebWorks, LLC

i'm a bit surprised. We have a totally different outlook with H Sphere. Since it does give resellers a billing and support manager it lowers their cost considerably. Plus, no matter what system you are using to bill: modernbill, ubersmith, etc... none of them will keep track of additional options or extras that your customers use. The best parts about H Sphere are the facts that you can give a customer 5 subdomains and charge them $.50 a month for each extra one if you want to.

As far as stability goes...We've had a few problems but nothing major. I think a lot of problems come from people not taking the time to realize what you should and shouldn't do with H Sphere. For example I found that you should not use the "reboot" command, ever. This can cause a lot of problems with H Sphere. Other control panels may not be affected, but H Sphere should be restarted in certain ways. Since we've been following psofts instructions on that we haven't had any problems.

I want to be clear, this is not a bash to Weberz in any way. In fact Tracy is a nice guy. Everyone has their own opinions, thats what makes this industry and this board great. We're very happy with H Sphere and look forward to the new features and excellent support they provide.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

Well I use h-sphere, Yes there are billing problems but at the same time you just have to learn to work around those issue with the resellers.

I enjoy working with my resellers and making thier life as happy as possible. overall it's a long term thing, and not easy to overcome those big mountains of problems

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

I put up a Cpanel server for resellers for about a week and it is not up to par for what I am looking for.

I now have went back to the tried and true Plesk control panel. It is rock solid and just works day in and day out.
    I couldn't agree more.

Gary

There have been several people asking to purchase resellers from me.

I have no intentions of selling resellers. I will keep them on H-Sphere, unless they want to change to Plesk as some have already.

I am not going to take signups for H-Sphere reselling, that is the only differance. Everything else remains the same.

Tracy Phillips

Plesk???

Tracy,

You have so many posts on WHT that sing the glories of Hsphere, but now you're going to Plesk!?

I can't seem to find a page on your site for Pleask plans.

-Zach

Re: Plesk???

Originally posted by zshelton
    Tracy,

You have so many posts on WHT that sing the glories of Hsphere, but now you're going to Plesk!?

I can't seem to find a page on your site for Pleask plans.

-Zach
    I will not answer for tracy, but he has the right idea. If I was to start over again. I would have h-sphere as my main control panel for windows because overall you can not beat it. But you have ot be willing to live ( on the system admin side ) with the problems. On the unix side I would have choosen plesk. becasue of the stability factor and ease of use.

I bet that tracy is just sitting on th eside lines waiting for h-sphere 3.0 when 99% of most billing bugs are gone and then I got to look out for her as a competitor.

Best of luck anyway Tracy,

Mike
    Last edited by ADEhost; 09-12-2002 at 07:28 PM.
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Zach,

As I stated earlier I love the concept of H-Sphere, I just don't like the way they are going about it for resellers.

Couple of examples of H-Sphere shortcomings for both resellers as well as shared hosting clients.

1. They have preinstalled scripts that uses can use. I had a client try to use one of the perl scripts, I think it was a guestbook or something like that that kept giveing errors. I notified Psoft of the matter, they wrote back saying that it was a third party script and they did not support them. My question to them ( without an explanation yet) is why install software that you know is buggy for the end user to use?

2. Earlier today I have a client that creates a PostgreSQL database in the system and goes to phpPGAdmin to upload the data file in. Guess what, there is not databases showing up in the sytem for him. Fire off a letter to Psoft. Psoft writes back saying that I deleted some files. I write Psoft back and tell them that I have not deleted anything. Psoft writes me back saying that deleted files was not the problem. The problem was an old script that was on the sytstem.

3. Reseller DNS is a whole other issue but I will not go into that.

Now I don't mind providing extrememly good support but one thing that I don't want to support is a buggy control panel. Give me technical questions or problems with the server (I tend to never get these type of questions), but no it is constantley the control panel that I am providing support for.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is not very productive if you ask me. I am changing what I am doing over and over and as a result I will have a different outcome.
    Last edited by tracphil; 09-12-2002 at 08:54 PM.

Tracy Phillips

Re: Re: Plesk???

Originally posted by ADEhost

she has the right idea.

Mike

Mike,

I'm a he not a she

Tracy Phillips

Re: Re: Re: Plesk???

Mike,

I'm a he not a she
    sorry fixed it

LOL no problem, I get it all the time.

Porcupine said he (I am assuming here) loves me. I am thinking that he thinks I am a she as well.

Tracy Phillips

LOL no problem, I get it all the time.

Porcupine said he (I am assuming here) loves me. I am thinking that he thinks I am a she as well.
    repeat this out loud with a southern drawl, real slow like ...

you got's to watch out for them porcupines, them's is real thorney

LOL

I am from the south (TN).

That is to funny

Tracy Phillips

hahaha, gender has no effect on that statement i loved the post you could say, either works

Seinfeld quote: "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Originally posted by Chicken

Seinfeld quote: "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
    Hah-Hah, as long as the woman doesen't find out eh?