* Dataflame + any comments on UK hosts

Hi,

I have decided that I need to find a new host. I would rather have a UK one - purely for of ease of payment/contact issues.

Does anyone know anything about Dataflame.co.uk?

If not, can anyone suggest a good [i.e. reliable] UK host?

I am also wondering whether [if I could send them a cheque] e.g. Lunarpages would be OK for someone in the UK?

Thanks,

Arakis

[and yep - I have searched the forum ]

I know the owner of Dataflame. Hes a good guy with a good team behind the company. I doubt you would have any problems if you decided to go with Dataflame.

Goodluck.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

i would suggest not going with 1&1 or fasthosts.co.uk

whatr sort of features are you requiring ?

bandwidth, diskspace, no of domains, any spacific Database types etc.
    E:magineHosts (Department Of E:magine Limited)
    emagine the possibilities
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited
    Windows,Linux, VPS Hosting environments

Heya, thank you both for replying

I know virtually nothing about this kinda stuff But this is the package I am currently on:

100 MB space
    2 GB monthly transfer
    cPanel control panel
    Anonymous FTP server
    Personal CGI-bin
    1 MySQL database
    1 Add-on domain
    Unlimited sub-domains
    MySQL with phpMyAdmin
    Extensive Site Statistics
    Frontpage 2002 support
    PHP (currently v. 4.3.4)
    Perl (currently v. 5.8.0)
    Zend (currently v. 2.5.2)

The things that I "notice" and would want are the Frontpage Extensions, the webstats, and cpanel. I would probably like a bit more space, and would be more comfortable with a bigger monthly transfer. Other than that - I don't do anything fancy on my site.

I hope that helps....

Arakis

i haven't used them but donhost.com are ment to be quite good but as i said ive not used them, a friend of mine does. you can do a search here and google on them.

<-- edit -->

from esperience most hosts from the UK don't supply My/MS SQL databases as standard.. MS SQL more so...
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited

I would not touch dataflame.

For about 3 months I was not able to email anyone at AOL as my server had been blacklisted, and it was impossible to talk to someone in support who would do anything about it.

They then refused to pay me commission that I was DEFINITELY due - because of a problem with THEIR system not logging the details correctly.

Also - their email support is quite fast - but their support staff are rude and lacking in knowledge.

Also - all their servers are in the USA so your domain will be more or less ignored if users in google are searching for 'UK' results.

My partner persuaded me to sign up with Dataflame a few months ago due to his positive experience with them, and I have found the servers and control panel to be very quick, the service really good, and my overall experience with them an excellent one.

I have almost been persuaded to leave LiquidWeb exactly for your reasons, which are, it's easier paying them because they are based in the UK, I need to budget now I am going completely freelance, Dataflame are pretty helpful when it comes to contacting them, instead of all those international calls, and their pretty reliable too.

LiquidWeb is excellent - couldn't fault them on anything at all - excellent service for two years running now, and happy 100%. But now I need something closer to home, and Dataflame are in the top running with thier performance so far.

Hope this helps!

Havin the same problem with yahoo & dataflame!!

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmcclements View Post
    I would not touch dataflame.

For about 3 months I was not able to email anyone at AOL as my server had been blacklisted, and it was impossible to talk to someone in support who would do anything about it.

They then refused to pay me commission that I was DEFINITELY due - because of a problem with THEIR system not logging the details correctly.

Also - their email support is quite fast - but their support staff are rude and lacking in knowledge.

Also - all their servers are in the USA so your domain will be more or less ignored if users in google are searching for 'UK' results.

Hi Guy's I have been with Dataflame now for over 2 yrs and OMG these really don;t know what they are doing AT ALL always always make tou it is something else than there problem, eventually after days of arguing, finally after bringing the contract to crisis point, 'Oh we managed to solve the problem'!!!

anyhow look i'm experiencing the same probs by the sounds of it as above, aside from it's with yahoo, myself and a client cannot receive emails from dataflame, ANYWHERE else no problems, but will not receive from dataflame. Could this be a blacklisted server, and if so how can i find this out for myself

hi,

if you get the ip/Mail alias for the mail server you send though you can check on whois.sc/IP or domain

ie whois.sc/mydomain.com

within those results it will say if the domain is on the black list

Quote Originally Posted by EmagineHosts View Post

from esperience most hosts from the UK don't supply My/MS SQL databases as standard.. MS SQL more so...

What? There's no difference in this area than the USA.

Yep he must have been looking with his eyes closed again.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

I am Running a uk host and provide pretty much the same as there for free

Quote Originally Posted by Arakis View Post
    Heya, thank you both for replying

I know virtually nothing about this kinda stuff But this is the package I am currently on:

100 MB space
    2 GB monthly transfer
    cPanel control panel
    Anonymous FTP server
    Personal CGI-bin
    1 MySQL database
    1 Add-on domain
    Unlimited sub-domains
    MySQL with phpMyAdmin
    Extensive Site Statistics
    Frontpage 2002 support
    PHP (currently v. 4.3.4)
    Perl (currently v. 5.8.0)
    Zend (currently v. 2.5.2)

The things that I "notice" and would want are the Frontpage Extensions, the webstats, and cpanel. I would probably like a bit more space, and would be more comfortable with a bigger monthly transfer. Other than that - I don't do anything fancy on my site.

I hope that helps....

Arakis