DNS Error: How do I enable/create reverse dns entries?

This is the error from DNSReport.com

ERROR: The IP of one or more of your mail server(s) have no reverse DNS (PTR) entries

Basically many email providers are rejecting email from my server because of it. How do I create reverse dns entries or what do they need to be?

Re: DNS Error: How do I enable/create reverse dns entries?

Originally posted by Steve_Oaks
    This is the error from DNSReport.com

ERROR: The IP of one or more of your mail server(s) have no reverse DNS (PTR) entries

Basically many email providers are rejecting email from my server because of it. How do I create reverse dns entries or what do they need to be?
    That is something that your datacenter or ISP would need to do for you, unless like NAC they give you an interface to make those changes yourself.

The exact procedure depends on which control panel you use, but you would need to add a PTR record to your domain's DNS entries.

Should be similar to this:

<ip> PTR <domain>.

Replace <ip> with your mail server's IP address, replace <domain>. with your domain name (notice it has a period at the end)

11.22.33.44 PTR mymailserver.com.

Re: Re: DNS Error: How do I enable/create reverse dns entries?

Originally posted by harryhood
    That is something that your datacenter or ISP would need to do for you, unless like NAC they give you an interface to make those changes yourself.

I have the control over the dns server, that is to make dns changes for the domain/server in question.
    Small. Local. Personal. Design | Development | Hosting | www.PortEighty.biz

Re: Re: Re: DNS Error: How do I enable/create reverse dns entries?

I have the control over the dns server, that is to make dns changes for the domain/server in question.
    I guess I could be wrong but I thought the DC had to make these changes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: DNS Error: How do I enable/create reverse dns entries?

Yeah it is looking that way:
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=65.75.164.62

I have a ticket submitted but know managed.com is will not be too much help.

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
    The exact procedure depends on which control panel you use, but you would need to add a PTR record to your domain's DNS entries.

Should be similar to this:

<ip> PTR <domain>.

Replace <ip> with your mail server's IP address, replace <domain>. with your domain name (notice it has a period at the end)

11.22.33.44 PTR mymailserver.com.

Did, seems to not be taking.
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch...htyhosting.com

I even went to the site they suggested that would reflect recent changes and it did not show up.

Yes, 62.164.75.65.in-addr.arpa is managed by managed.net, so they would have to make the change. But as was posted above, if they change their end to allow your nameservers to be responsible for your IP block, then you would have to setup the x.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa on your end.

This is what I do for my IP blocks, so the nameservers I manage are *directly* responsible for rDNS and such. Sorry I mis-spoke in the earlier post, but I didn't have your domain name then.

But as was posted above, if they change their end to allow your nameservers to be responsible for your IP block, then you would have to setup the x.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa on your end.
    How do I get them to do that/what do I need to ask them? Tech support is actually answering my ticket and fast. YEAH!

Tell them they need to put a reverse DNS pointer (PTR) record into their in-addr.arpa file which points back to your server/domain so that email rejects will not happen due to lack of rDNS PTR records.

You can also give them the link to the dnsreport site you posted.

Tell them they need to put a reverse DNS pointer (PTR) record into their in-addr.arpa file which points back to your server/domain so that email rejects will not happen due to lack of rDNS PTR records.

You can also give them the link to the dnsreport site you posted.

I have done that but they asked for exactly what I wanted, so I told them:

11.44.111.60 PTR domain1.com.
    11.44.111.60 PTR domain2.com.
    11.44.111.60 PTR domain3.biz.

I have many more domains though, do I need them to add an entry for every domain? Or will what they do cover all of the domains?

I have done that but they asked for exactly what I wanted, so I told them:

11.44.111.60 PTR domain1.com.
    11.44.111.60 PTR domain2.com.
    11.44.111.60 PTR domain3.biz.

I have many more domains though, do I need them to add an entry for every domain? Or will what they do cover all of the domains?
    You only need a single RDNS entry per ip address.

Re: Re: Re: Re: DNS Error: How do I enable/create reverse dns entries?

No, you're not completly confused

In order for Reverse DNS to take effect 1 of a couple of things will have to happen.

Either

1) his ISP will need to setup the reverse DNS to point to the domains.

2) His ISP will need to forward dns requests to his DNS

or 3) He will have to ask (and I do mean ask nicely sucking up is usually a plus) his ISP to release DNS deligation for his IP/IP block to him

With out one of these items being in place, reverse DNS requests will only served for local requests.

You only need a single RDNS entry per ip address.

Their is shared hosting on the machine. One ip hosts many domains, and I want all domains to have a RDNS record.

managed should have a control panel thing mobobber to let you set your names for the ips but what you need to make sures done first is to make sure that that domain names dns has that ip set in the A record to the domain /sub-domain
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.