GoDaddy Terms of Service incompatible with hosting business

I just read the article that was written on email battles covering the suspension of the nectartech.com domain.

http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/...aacgebeeje_hc/

I have to say that the article is fair and accurate. There is a disagreement about some of the facts betewwn NT and GD as far as what was shut down when. I would encourage anyone interested to both read the article and listen to the MP3s of the 2 tech support calls.

The bigger question here isn't a matter of who's right as much as if GoDaddy's TOS are compatible with the web hosting business. If you read the TOS they can shut you down for anything they feel like. If you listen to the phone calls you will see that they in fact do that.

This issue for me as a customer of NT. I have 4 servers there. And as someone who hosts some 300 web sites and filters email for some 500 domains, I find GDs position troubling.

For those of you who are in the hosting business or the colo/dedicated server business you know that being hacked is part of life. I personally was once hacked through the same phpBB exploit about a year ago. I fixed the problem, but things like this happen. And that's a computer that I'm in control of.

When you sell dedicated hosting some customers have limited skill levels and bad things happen to the best of us that are out of our control. Even companies like Microsoft can't control hackers. If Microsoft has been registered with GoDaddy they would have been suspended under their TOS. In fact - every data center on the planet has probably either been hacked or has had a customer who has been hacked.

GoDaddy in the article stands by their position. Nothing there has changed that they are admitting publicly. So I have to assume that if the same thing happened again that GoDaddy can and would do the same thing.

The bottom line is that Godaddy's terms of service are not compatible with the web hosting business. That is the point that needs to be focused on here. There arechoices of registrars to register with and this is a matter of who do you want to be your registrar.

The bottom line is that godaddy is not suitable if you use it for your business
    Domain Maven

That has probably been address already, but WHY were YOU contacting GoDaddy for NT if you are only a customer? What kind of company is NT that is sending of of his/her customers to resolve the issue with its vendor (GoDaddy)?

Crazy!

Marc Perkel is not just NectarTECH's customer

Quote Originally Posted by agi
    WHY were YOU contacting GoDaddy for NT if you are only a customer? What kind of company is NT that is sending of of his/her customers to resolve the issue with its vendor (GoDaddy)?
    If you review the email transcripts accompanying the Email Battles article, you will see that Nick describes Marc as his partner. I asked Nick to describe the relationship. He told me that Marc started as a customer and became his friend and systems consultant.

During the shutoff crisis, I assume that Nick delegated the vendor-outreach to Marc while he focused on customer problems.

BJ Gillette, Editor
    Email Battles
    emailbattles.com

Obviously a single 100+ post thread was not enough for Marc, he felt the need to go ahead and open another one.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477562
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Quote Originally Posted by justadollarhostin
    Obviously a single 100+ post thread was not enough for Marc, he felt the need to go ahead and open another one.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477562
    Why do you care. It's an important subject. That's why there are so many posts.

Is this thread true or people making lies?

Quote Originally Posted by mperkel
    I just read the article that was written on email battles covering the suspension of the nectartech.com domain.
    Don't be mislead in thinking that mperkel simply stumbled upon the article, as the quote above would seem to imply. He's the star of it and the one who recorded the phone calls.

It is an interesting story. Too bad we will never know who is telling the truth. Was the offending content deleted promptly as Nectartech says, or only at the very end as Godaddy says?

Marc did not find Email Battles. We picked up the thread through dslreports, found it confusing and pursued the story.

Anyone who reads carefully will probably agree that all parties came out a little bruised. In the heat of emotion, people often misplace events and say intemperate things. That's why the timeline was crucial to this story.

It is a tribute to the integrity of NectarTECH owner Nick Mariani that he provided the unadulterated email transcripts, despite any blemishes that might be exposed. On the other Go Daddy/datacenter thread, Nick says he and Go Daddy are talking again.

As the guy who spent 18 hours beating the facts into the timeline, I find that quite gratifying.

Now. When are you people going to get upset about Qwest's $5 per spam charge? If that little hand grenade had been tossed into Nick's Go Daddy contract, he may have been sitting in bankruptcy court.