Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Powweb.com- too goodd to be true

ever used powweb.com it seems to good to be true, has anyone ever had experiences with it

While I haven't had direct experience with them: There are quite a few reviews via the 'search' function here on WHT!

Just don't get powweb, ipowerweb and ipowweb and all of the others mixed up like I do. I still can't tell who is who!

Do yuo think it works !!

The search function or powweb?
    The search function works quite well.

powweb on the other hand: I'm not entirely sure.
    The reviews here on WHT should provide sufficient information for your viewing pleasure!

Does any one know where i could get really huge space and bandhwidth for my mp3s ( they are legal)

I hosted with them 5 years ago and experienced excessive downtimes and not exactly great support. This might have changed meanwhile however, I cant tell.

you mean comparitively better , or is it actually a good host worth hosting a site on!!

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Just don't get powweb, ipowerweb and ipowweb and all of the others mixed up like I do. I still can't tell who is who!
    ipower and ipowerweb seems to be under the same brand on the other hand powweb seems to stand alone and had some good reviews. If you need more info and testimonials check their forums (forum.powweb.com).

Quote Originally Posted by nimonogi
    ipower and ipowerweb seems to be under the same brand on the other hand powweb seems to stand alone and had some good reviews. If you need more info and testimonials check their forums (forum.powweb.com).
    Thank you for the additional information.
    Now if I can just remember that for more than 15 minutes..

I've had it explained to me before: Honestly I don't know why all of these companies would select similar 'branding' approaches as others.

Seems silly!

I wouldnt really host with dreamhost.com either coz if you read some of the reviews youll know what i mean !!
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ight=dreamhost
    and 1 tb bandhwidth is a bit too much for only $7.95
    atleast powweb makes it a bit some what ( though its a bit too good to be true) realistic with their 300 gb bandhwidth

Well for all your MP3's you might be better getting a dedicated server

would i be able to get a dedicated server between 30 - 40 $

I've had a powweb account for the last 2-3 years. I've filled up at least 6 gbs of space and the most i've used my bandwidth has been 100gb/month. They say they'll close down your account if you use more than 10 gb/day. At 9gb/day they send you a warning email, and I've only passed 10gbs once an year or two ago and they suspended the account. I sent an email saying I wouldn't do it again and they opened it back up for me pretty quickly. I don't know how good their customer support is but they have a pretty active community forum for questions and the like. Along the lines of file hosting, the biggest file I've uploaded has been around 700mbs. I had no problem uploading the file and nobody has had any problems downloading either. In the time that I've had an account with them, I've never seen downtime either. As to their features, I don't know how that ranks since I don't mess with those.

I used them myself til about 2003, but left when my site (a mboard) was hitting the mySQL limits they had in place at the time.

The large space and bandwidth they advertise, some may call it major overselling. Like David mentioned, do a search on this board on PW and you'll find the good, the bad and any issues people had with them.

Quote Originally Posted by zoid
    I hosted with them 5 years ago and experienced excessive downtimes and not exactly great support. This might have changed meanwhile however, I cant tell.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

I really like Powweb, they just increased their space from 2Gs to 20Gs! and bandwidth from 300 to 400! I was with them a few years ago, then i thought I would start my own company reselling somewhere else, but I am coming back becuase they have a great affiliate program and it gives my customers so much more than I could reselling.

I really like Powweb, they just increased their space from 2Gs to 20Gs! and bandwidth from 300 to 400!
    I'm curious, how much are you using right now?

I am recreating my church's website with the Powweb hosting. I will be hosting at least a years worth of 30 to 40 minute mp3 sermons for our members to download. I am just at the beginning of the process so I am not using much right now, but it is nice to know that I will be able to do what I want with that much space. I was reselling 2 gigs to no more than 25 domains, so I am really excited to see Powweb now offer so much more space with no increase in price.

I have heard that they are quite good as a shared host.

Personally I would stay away from Powweb for now until we see how the transition goes. They just sold their company and will be going through a major transformation.
    I don't think its the smartest thing to do, to put your site in the hands of a company that is going through such a major move.
    Ipowerweb has been a good shared host for me. I have never had to have a dedicated server with them.

Good Luck finding your host

To the OP:

If you are looking at using their services, you can find reviews on them here. Also lurk around WHReviews.com they may have something listed on them there. Furthermore, Powweb should have a money back guarantee in place correct?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I am presently with Powweb but they have been bought over by a bigger company recently. The transition is going on (server switch) but apparently, the support service, which used to be decent, is going down the drain at the speed of light. Probably delocalized somewhere where labor is cheap. Moreover, SMTP and POP email services are prone to more and more chronic problems that are not properly addressed as evidenced on their own forum. I would stay away from them for now until they stabilize and improve their customer service, if that ever happen.

Good luck

Earlier this week a problem with one of their server clusters caused a website i work on be brought down. Then they had problems with their mysql servers bringing a huge amount of mysql sites down. At the same time they had problems with php causing even more problems.

All up our site was down for 3-4hrs.

powweb was my first host ever.

The Good:
    Support was always pretty decent. They have a great set of forums and alot of faithful users that put alot of extra work into the community (like extras's scripts). You get alot of storage and alot of bandwidth and a pretty good price.

The Bad:
    I found gallery2 to be slow slow slow. Basically anything that used php/mysql was really slow. Since thats the main reason I got hosting, I wasn't too happy.

The thing that finally caused me to move was a problem that they had with with their san. They have load balanced servers, so if ones goes down the others should take on the slack. They only problem was the san that stored all the data. I believe there was some type of driver problem that brought the san down and they had to bring in a tech from the company that made if I remember correctly. Things were down a while. I think I was credited with a free month or something but just decided to cancel anyway. They didn't give me any problems when I tried to cancel.

I still visit the forums from time to time when searching google for answers to my problems (I mentioned their forums are great). It looks that the transition isn't going that well.

If you do not need sql go with 1and1.com they worked great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by horzogh
    ... is going down the drain at the speed of light. Probably delocalized somewhere where labor is cheap ...
    This is very unfair my friend. Labour is cheap doesn't mean a bad service. Cheap labor and delocalization together speaks about some countries (two countries basically, in today's world) where, on the contrary, people smile more easily and are even ready to work extra hours just if you speak to them nicely. And these people are often having a much higher IQ than the white world, where the labor is 'costly' thus delivering a much better quality compared to what could you get, say, in a place where you find 'costly' services.

About Powweb, I am also a customer of them for three years, and now discovering that their support is far to be a great one (well, things are relative, and I am telling this comparing them with Dreamhost, my other host whom I have taken recently). Only thing that I find good there is the live chat, what I miss in Dreamhost. But speak about support, control, bandwidth, disk space, powweb is awfully bad.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ParisGuy; 06-16-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast