View Poll Results: Who would be better over all?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • TWT

0 0%
  • Level3

11 61.11%
  • Cogent

0 0%
  • Intermedia

4 22.22%
  • Savvis

0 0%
  • Genuity

1 5.56%
  • yipes

2 11.11%

Thread: NOC Bandwidth??

Lightbulb NOC Bandwidth??

We are opening anther DataCenter soon and are looking at a few providers and wanted to get some feed back on them.

We use Verio now and are looking to put this data center on anther network besides Verio.

Here is who we are looking at so far. ( Please add to the list if i missed any good ones. Sorry i hate UUnet Sprint )
    twtelecom.com, Level3, cogentco.com, Intermedia, Savvis, Genuity and yipes.

Any feed back on any of these would be great. cogentco.com now has an OC-192 running in to the NOC we are looking at.

Level 3, Intermedia and twt also have bandwidth there as well. We plan to pull from 2 or 3 of these but not sure who i want to make main and back up for us.

I was thinking TWT with Yipes or Cogent as the backup for them as cogent is very cheap but would work great for the backup.

Any help on these would be great i also put a poll on here to help out on this thanks..

Vortech,

Have you try DataColo.com ? They are closer to you too

They are a good company too

Good luck on your venture!

A lot would depend on where you are opening the new data center at? Are you simply adding more servers/connectivity to the same Verio co-location facility you are in now or are you expending to another co-lo facility in addition to the Verio one or are you actually opening your own data center at a new location?

If you are remaining in the same co-lo facility and just adding more connectivity I would recommend Intermedia since they are right downstairs from you. They'll save you a great deal of money on the local loop for that reason alone and they have improved their network enormously. The same would hold true with Time Warner as they are sitting in the same building as well and could probably be quite competitive with Intermedia.

Now if you are talking about a completely separate co-lo facility elsewhere then I would obviously first be curious to know who is already connected there and then you'd of course pick the best of that bunch. If opening your own data center then you'll want to choose at least two so that the data center includes the needed redundancy.

Again, if you are remaining in the same building/co-lo facility you are in now then I would strongly recommend Intermedia or Time Warner.

Just my two cents for the till.
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Hey Deb,

Sound like you have been to that datacenter before..

We were looking at http://www.colosolutions.com they are on the 2nd floor there as well thats were TWT comes in and some others. TWT also has a really nice colo out on john young park way but a little far for me to drive..

CoLoSolutions did not look bad plus they have all kinds of bandwidth there.. Do you know of any others around orlando that are good and have any where froim 20 to maybe 40 racks open CoLosolutions looked kind of full.. CoLo.com is here as well but they are in all kind of problems.

The problem with verio is NTT. They are looking to close 1/2 there datacenters now. We have a 3 year term with them so we are notin a rush. But if you look at this page ( http://verio.com/products/datacenter/locations.cfm ) orlando has now been removed..

So we are looking to move maybe or force verio to let us stay for our term. They are leaving every thing there but not take new orders.. They lost me on that one..

Do you know if Intermedia does colo there i have never check with them before..

josephp:
    Hmmm.. Never heard of them.. Does not seem to much on there site ether.. Are they here in orlando would like to keep all our servers here.

heh unbelievable...I just noted in another thread that I felt the topic of co-los shutting down would be brought up sooner or later...guess this would be one of the beginning threads in that area

Intermedia does have a nice co-lo facility on the 1st floor. If you haven't checked it out yet run down and do so....they are great people to work with. Talk to Stephen Curtiss if you can and heck tell him FutureQuest sent you

I wouldn't jump ship too quickly out of that building. It's still an excellent place to be but as you noted some of the occupants are dwindling If you can find someone to bunk with in the building, I'd recommend doing so.
    So we are looking to move maybe or force verio to let us stay for our term. They are leaving every thing there but not take new orders.. They lost me on that one..
    MOVE!!! Fast as you can! I've seen one too many co-los start with comments like that and I can tell you that it's not worth fighting for! If they do decide to jump ship they will do so and you will be left with downed servers scrambling to figure out how to get them plugged in somewhere else. You do _NOT_ want to make those types of decisions in haste.

If you are already seeing the facility you are in start to shake then calmly prepare to jump before they push you. I do not know you personally, but if you can trust the advise of one Orlando host to another only once, then trust this advise. I've seen it happen to others and I've had it happen to us... it's NOT pretty. That contract can be used against you but trust me, you wont be using it against them if they move. They can say "Well you are welcome to move all of your servers to blah blah location" which could easily be totally too far from where you want to be.... it's pathetic what they can get away with. Now of course you could fight it in court but for the money you'd spend you could also build that new Data Center ...lol
    FutureQuest.net

Deb

Yea i don't think they are pulling yet but its not far they said theyw ould give us 3 to 6 months heads up so that more then good for us..

I think i will give Intermedia a call and check out theres as well getting sick of looking at Data Centers now..LOL Have you seen Intermedia or Verios. Just wanted to know if Intermedia is as nice as verios is.. Just hope Intermedia got some space in there..LOL

We all ready planing ahead for the move so it should very smooth with not much down time at all really.. Will just use copy's of DNS on new network and change as the servers change over should be fast and easy.. Would be even betting if i just have to take them down the hall..LOL

That would have to be the best thign i love the data center its hard to beat as its only 5 or 10 min from my hous..

Intermedia's is more functional than photographic. It's a decent sized facility that will get the job done the way it needs to be. Verio has more of the 'frills' where Intermedia is more bang for the buck type of thing. Intermedia has plenty of space...no problems there.

The move can be accomplished without too much of a problem like you noted as long as you are left with enough time to pull it off. Right NOW you have that time, my advise is to not put too much stock in their promises for "later". As long as you start working now the renumbering etc can be done in a calm and controlled fashion. Being able to just run the servers downstairs is also a time saver since you wont have 'travel time' added to the mix nor do you have 'travel injuries' on the hardware to worry about since you wont even have to 'box them up' for the elevator ride

If the building is close to home...then again I vote for staying there!
    FutureQuest.net

Re: Hey Deb,

Originally posted by Vortech

josephp:
    Hmmm.. Never heard of them.. Does not seem to much on there site ether.. Are they here in orlando would like to keep all our servers here.
    They are in Lakeland (Near Tampa), But you better contact to Carlos Rego (Wizardshosting.com) anyway.. He use to write in WHT. Crego is his name here, if I not bad remember
    Last edited by Jedito; 09-20-2001 at 02:47 AM.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Deb

Yea its real close to me.. hehe I think i will stay there.. This will be our last time ever having to renumber any thing... We just got our Arin ip's as well so we will never have that problem agian thanks god thats the wrose part..

Yea its all ready in the works and getting pricing this week on bandwidth and rack space as well. So we should be out of there with in one to 2 months tops i know we have at least that much time..

Are you in there with Intermedia as well? Who else is there that i missed. I know Intermedia, Verio, UUnet, colosolutions.com and other colo's there? I am not sure if UUnet does colo there or not may just be a POP or telco but that have a lot space on the 4th or 5th floor i think it is.

Jedito:
    Thanks for the TIP, But Lakeland is a little drive for me really... I am use to this right down the road thing now..hehe

BTW: Deb you should have mail..

We're not co-lo'd with Intermedia or any of the others you may see on the sign but we are working with them to obtain another DS-3

We're currently using a UUnet line for redundancy but the main lines we have drawn in there are from Qwest (of course! hehe) -- email received (just before I got blown off the Internet) and the "rest" I guess will be worked out from that method

p.s. You'll find us on the 4th, 5th, and 6th floors....
    Last edited by Deb; 09-20-2001 at 04:19 AM.
    FutureQuest.net

Smile

I'd go for DIGEX (/Intermedia) for a DS3 and COX for multiple T1s.

Deb.. :)

Well we went and check out Intermedia today... Have to say they look good.. Bandwidth pricing and rack space is a lot better priced the verio.. Just as nice i think like you said does not have the 'frills' of verio but does and will get the job done good for us..

Deb.. BTW they have Open and Cab's in there as was well..

Only thing i did like in one way and did not like in the other is..
    We would be the only ones in there.. I mean there is NO one in this Intermedia colo here in orlando.. Kind of nice really but kind of makes me think as well..

I wouldn't stress it too much.... they are just getting that NOC off the ground...and uhhhh I know they have at least *some* business on the bandwidth end .... remember it's not just co-lo space they are rolling out and I know their bandwidth is selling as I continue to write checks.....ugh....

Enjoy the special attention while you can get it...being first is sometimes the best place to be
    FutureQuest.net

Deb

HEHE.. Being first kind give me an open run.. Pick the racks i want kind of thing.. hehe

Yea i know they are selling bandwidth out of there just the colo side looked a little bare.. hehe