Mike, The Host Fox
    mike@hostfox.net
    http://hostfox.net

Tiny Personal Firewall

Can't remember the URL... sorry.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

catpus is having serious financial issues and won't be around much longer.
    Jay

Re: firewall

Originally posted by interactive6
    what kind of firewall do you use?
    .John
    Cisco PIX, OpenBSD w/ ipf (pf is just not there yet as much as I'd like it to be) and the occasional netscreen or checkpoint box; depends on the client.

Hi manmythlgnd, (and anyone else who would respond)

You mention you use OpenBSD as your OS for some of your firewalls.

My question is, how does it do in terms of reliability, performance and uptime as a firewall?

I've been told by some folks that OpenBSD, in contrast to FreeBSD is more prone to kernel panics with some sorts of traffic/attacks; also that it requires periodic reboots in contrast to FreeBSD.

I have no personal experience, so I'm asking if you have seen these things on production firewall boxes/servers on the public internet.

Have you seen these or other problems with OpenBSD used as a firewall? Also, what type of hardware do you typically run OpenBSD as a firewall on top of?

Do you set up a bridging firewall -- or a "regular" one?

Thanks for sharing!

Louis

I'm using Norton Personal Firewall, and like it a lot...

catpus is having serious financial issues and won't be around much longer.
    Microsoft is having serious financial issues and won't be around much longer.

Odd statement with no information where you got this. Especially when they we funded 21 Million and just this month it was bumbed up another 6 Million from HIG/GMG/St Pauls. So, as with all rumors, I will wait until it happens.

Originally posted by stlouislouis
    My question is, how does it do in terms of reliability, performance and uptime as a firewall?
    Perfect for me. I've never had a problem with reliability or performace.

I've been told by some folks that OpenBSD, in contrast to FreeBSD is more prone to kernel panics with some sorts of traffic/attacks; also that it requires periodic reboots in contrast to FreeBSD.
    I'd disagree. FreeBSD is geared toward the i386 platform and may outperform OpenBSD (I haven't run benchmarks), I don't know for sure. I do know that I've never had any problem with kernel panics running patched-stable and I've never had to reboot because of badly running OpenBSD code. It sounds like FUD to me. Keep in mind OpenBSD is developed for code correctness and prides itself on security.

I have no personal experience, so I'm asking if you have seen these things on production firewall boxes/servers on the public internet.
    Yes I use them and I know many others who do as well.

Have you seen these or other problems with OpenBSD used as a firewall?
    There used to be a couple problems with pf when it was first released but I haven't heard anything lately. I've been running it since 3.0 was released without any problems for me.

OpenBSD is used quite frequently for firewalls. Mainly because of thier attention to security.

Also, what type of hardware do you typically run OpenBSD as a firewall on top of?
    Personally, a low end i386 box. 1U rackmount, CA810EAL mobo, P3 650 or so, 128MB's ram.

IPChains .

zone alarm for me!

ZoneAlarm and I also have that McAfee Firewall, but I don't use it. Don't know why I have a firewall since I'm on dial-up anyway
    It makes no difference which one of us you vote for. Either way, your planet is doomed... DOOMED!