Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

* Media Temple's Grid Server

Has anybody seen this yet?

http://www.mediatemple.net

Seems like a good deal, and I might move all my shared hosting accounts over to this.

sounds good, how easy is it to customize it .... I see that php is an added package, where it is usually in by default. do they back it up!!!!
    More testing but looks good.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

At the moment I can't access their site.

I see they got rid of the "flash only" intro page that I complained about last week. I wouldn't mind learning more about the actual underlying technolgy supporting their "grid server".

Apparently mt have no problems with the overselling game. I wonder if they'd mind if I used one of their accounts to transfer 1 TB for only 20$?

http://www.mediatemple.net/company/l...up_general.php

Their AUP is fairly liberal, which is nice. There appears to be nothing limiting the opportunity to set up a simple Ruby service on a 'gs' "Ruby Container" which did nothing but chew up their bandwidth.

But come on, 1TB for 20$? I'm sure they aren't the only ones taking overselling to that level but... come on!
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

ahhh very nice. interesting plan.

I'll let you all know, if I decide to sign up, how good it is.

Sounds like they're using Solaris Containers for this stuff with some custom scripting for migration. If anyone does get one, can you log into SSH and run "uname -a" so we can see what these boxes are running?
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

This I believe is a revolution in hosting industry, and probably would be the base for it in the upcoming years, of course given that media temple can make it work.

This is basically: Google for rent
    Last edited by dcabbar; 10-17-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcabbar
    This I believe is a revolution in hosting industry, and probably would be the base for it in the upcoming years, of course given that media temple can make it work.

This is basically, Google for rent
    Actually, it's just a high density VPS. Nothing new, realistically. Just that you don't get admin access so they can increase density.

Quote Originally Posted by dcabbar
    Hardly. There is nothing new about offering loads of stuff for next to no money.

Do they offer ssh access with the plan or what?

According to their knowledgebase, yes they do: http://kb.mediatemple.net/article.php?id=110

Sort of off topic but I liked their old site better.

The new (gs) Grid instantly and automatically scales your site during sudden traffic surges so you do not have to worry about last minute server upgrades. The (gs) Grid keeps you informed every step of the way with resource usage monitors you can see. The days of arbitrary, ever-changing resource limits are over. Standard in each (gs) Grid-Server plan is a generous allocation of Grid Performance Units (GPUs) sufficient to power 95% of any site we've ever seen. If you happen to be one of the lucky ones with massively growing traffic, you can rest assured that the Grid has you covered
    Did you read the details about this plan at all? They are talking about clustering, real-time load-balancing and scaling over multiple servers as necessary, probably a RAID based/fault-tolerant file system over NFS via fiber, probably clustered mysql servers, etc.

Please read the details before labeling it as a simple scaled-up VPS? All VPS and Shared hosting are based on a single/powerful server which is prone to errors/overloading -specifically IO-, but this approach is similar to (of course in a much smaller scale) what Google has been doing... And, it is based on paying as you go according to how much you use out of this cluster...

Please correct me if what I am saying is wrong, but it looks very promising to me. But again, it looks good on paper, and nobody knows how it will scale in real life given the complexity...
    Last edited by dcabbar; 10-17-2006 at 03:56 PM.

It's interesting.
    I was talking about HPC/HA type of thing, yeasterday.

I would like to know more about the redundancy level of their setup,
    and the technology used.

(A bit more technical info than we can read in this page and in the links form there.)
    http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/details.htm

But I'm glad to see there are hosts going to this direction.
    And the pricing isn't bad for the kind of setup, which can cost a lot to construct.

I hope other competitors would try slightly different technology and compete against each other, so that they get better and better, and also to eliminate bad hosts from the industry.
    Everyone would suffer less.

DC can offer grids(container?) or a block of nodes (depending on the technology)
    instead of individual server, I guess.
    If they do, a small host can benefit from the setup to achieve the same type of redundancy and resistance.
    Last edited by extras; 10-17-2006 at 03:56 PM.

So, no one surfing WHT with a gs account at mt who would like to post a review?
    -Mr Bister

I like the GPU thingy, but what about this:

What if I run out of the GPUs?
    The vast majority of clients will never even come close to using all the GPUs included with their service. In the event your website experiences large scale traffic surges lasting extending periods of time to the point where you exceed your allocated GPUs, your site will not be shut down. Instead additional GPUs will automatically be added to your service to maintain your uninterrupted high performance web presence.
    Why even measure GPUs then?

wow .. MT plays the overselling game

Quote Originally Posted by timdorr
    Sounds like they're using Solaris Containers for this stuff with some custom scripting for migration. If anyone does get one, can you log into SSH and run "uname -a" so we can see what these boxes are running?

From their web site they mention Virtuozzo for their Dedicated Virtual, so I don't think they are using Solaris Containers.

http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/dv/details.htm
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

I called thier sales, they told me it's all linux based.
    Unfortunately, their sales department isn't very well trained for the technical details,
    so they couldn't answer many other questions I had, over the phone .
    (They wanted me to e-mail them.)

They say we can run binary CGI, but it seems that they don't want us to compile on the server (or they don't offer gcc).

If we can run binaries compiled on standard Linux, it means this grid technology is fairly compatible with existing softwares, and maybe we can install many other things (like different, newer version of Python, or other languages, libraries, for example).

They are offering 7.95$ (or whatever the same price) for existing clients,
    but all new clients should pay $20/month.
    They have only one plan, although they plan to offer reseller account in future,
    according to the sales rep.

How about the actual bandwidth - is it equivalent to 1TB a month or it it 1TB for you to use and then you have to purchase additional bandwith in the future?

Their product looks very interesting though - it is something different to what other hosting companies offer at the moment. Certainly something to keep an eye on.

Looks pretty interesting, their control panel looks pretty nice.

Does anyone know if spam protection is included or do you have to buy it like before?

I am really interested in moving my site here. Any one have first hand experience with mt's grid and Mosso? They are about the same thing right? I am trying to read up and decide which is the right one for me.

I like mt, but they are growing really fast and i can't say I am crazy about them being in LA...

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    I like the GPU thingy, but what about this:

Why even measure GPUs then?
    Extra GPU's = Extra $$$
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast